Working Gal - Six Months On

12:00

It has been a while! I am not sure how often to make these posts although considering I only have five months of placement left, I think there might be one or two more. I guess it depends on how much there is to share about how placement is going.
Since the last time I wrote here I have obviously become more adjusted. I now feel like a part of the team like everyone else. I have recently been working on something with some other members of the team rather than an individual project and so I have been interacting with more people. Before I would only ever really talk to my buddy but that's because he was the one giving me work.
I also feel like the addition of a graduate to our team has really helped the integration. Our team is kind of a quiet one, we only ever really talk to each other if we have to. So it's usually very quiet around our bay. But with the grad there, he's very outgoing and so he sparks a lot of conversation between us which has been really great. It's good to be able to have banter between your teammates, it helps you get by.
Sadly though he won't be on the team for much longer because he has to rotate to another team in a few months. So I wonder what the team will be like without him or if they will get another graduate to replace him. All graduates rotate between teams before they choose where they want to end up in the company. But for now, he's on our team and I think he will remain there until after I leave, so the banter will continue.
Aside from the team banter, my workload has increased recently. This is definitely a good thing because it means time goes by a lot faster. Sure, it can be stressful but it's not been too bad. Although it hasn't really been any development work so I would like to get back into that soon. Coding is where I feel most comfortable, even though I know that isn't all of the job.
I also recently had a meeting with my manager to discuss my year-end review, which sounds weird because I've only been working there six months. Everyone has to fill in a self-evaluation at the end of the year and that included me so I did the best I could. The meeting went really well and I found out that I don't suck at this job which is great. My manager asked me if there is anything that I wanted to be doing while on placement and I said anything. I still don't know exactly what I want to focus on when I leave uni so I really want to get the most out of my placement as possible. So basically anything that they are willing to let me do, I will do it. So I guess we see what comes from that.
Then there are the other placements, not much to report there. Although we have now kind of split off into smaller groups, we used to all sit together in the canteen but now we all do our own thing. Which was bound to happen because there are so many of us. But we are all still friendly towards one another and it's so much easier to talk to people now that we have split off into smaller groups.
Overall working has been good, I don't have any complaints. It's been a great experience so far and I am confident that I will be able to survive in the working world now when I graduate from university. Whether that is with the company I am in now or somewhere else.
I still don't know what I'm doing when I graduate but I think I should keep my options open. I never liked the idea of being trapped doing one thing for the rest of my life so that's a big deal for me. But we see what happens. Maybe this is the job for me, maybe it's not. At least I have some time to think about it.
In the meantime, I just have to finish up placement and then try to prepare for my final year of university. This year has barely started and I know it's going to be a busy one and as always, I will try to keep you posted as the year goes on! And if you don't want to wait for a blog post to know what's going on in my life then follow me on Twitter because it's where I update the most. Although be aware I do tweet a lot...
~ Courtney x

You Might Also Like

0 comments