Girl Online On Tour Book Review

15:00

My 7th blog post this month and my second 2nd book review. I'd say I'm on a roll.
Today I am reviewing Girl Online On Tour by Zoe Sugg. I wasn't really sure if I was going to get this book because when I read the first one I was convinced that it was aimed at a younger audience and I didn't enjoy the story. However, I decided to give it a chance Zoe had released a number of signed books you could preorder online and so...I gave in. I might have only done it for the signed Zoella book but I knew I couldn't leave it unread. Especially when I know Zoe has so many fans and someone else would have appreciated the book a whole lot more. So I decided to see where Penny and Noah were headed and honestly, I really enjoyed it.


If you read my book review of Girl Online then you know it was probably the only YouTuber book I didn't like so I wasn't sure what to expect with the sequel. But Zoe definitely stepped up the game with this one. I tried not to have high expectations after the first one and I didn't even really know much about the story. I hadn't really thought much about what Girl Online On Tour actually meant. But it literally meant Penny was going on tour with Noah.
And I think that's one of the things that really changed this book from the last one. Because life on a rock tour is so fast-paced and crazy the story had to reflect that. Which meant the pace of the book was a lot faster than the first one. There were things going on all the time and I just felt like I had to keep reading because I wanted to know what happened with all these things.
I feel like with Girl Online, Zoe was just testing the waters with her writing. And now, she knows what she can do and she wanted to showcase that. I could tell her writing had improved, which I was really glad to see. It still has the same style and tone as before but there was just something a little bit different. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because there has been no ghost writer scandal with this one. Not that I was ever mad about that. Or I'm just getting used to the style of Zoe's writing. Either way, I am glad to see Zoe is improving her writing skills. Because she can only get better from here and I love seeing that.
Okay moving to the actual story. So many things. Lots of spoilers ahead.
First of all, I totally related to Penny when she had to stop publishing her blog. Last year I had a similar thing go down where I basically had to stop something I was doing and it was awful. It feels like you are being told you aren't allowed to express yourself like you're being censored. And it's not good.
You should always be allowed to express yourself as long as it isn't offensive or hurtful to others. Although I know that can be hard now because people can get offended quite easily. But if you're doing something you enjoy and you don't intend for it to be offensive or to hurt people then you should do it. Although you should be careful if it's personal or involves friends and family.
That's what I have learnt about the whole thing and in this book Penny learns a similar thing so I think that made the book more enjoyable.
If you can relate to the character of the book it's so much easier to read. At least, I feel that. Or if you have a connection with them.
Something else that kept me reading was the mystery. Who was sending all those messages to Penny? I have to admit I had my suspicions about Megan and Pegasus Girl. I would have loved if it was Pegasus Girl. Only because people online can't always be trusted. That really would have been a twist.
However, that was a bit of a letdown. The reveal was still shocking because I never expected it but...then when it was revealed and the reasons behind it I kind of felt like it was cliche movie. I should have seen it coming. I think I'm more mad at myself for not figuring it out than the actual outcome haha.
Also, I'd really love a friend like Leah Brown. She really surprised me by being really nice. I think I've been watching too much Pretty Little Liars because I have to stop jumping to the conclusion that every girl character is secretly a bitch. I mean a girl should be able to take another girl shopping and give her a glam makeover without there being an ulterior motive right? At least, I'd like to think so.
As for Penny and Noah...well I actually liked how they ended. I think it was the right decision and I love that they are able to both pursue their passions. I thought that was a really great theme to the book. That you should pursue your passions because you could just end up living the dream.
It really inspired me. I remember being like Penny and not knowing what I was going to do with my life. I still haven't got it quite figured out but I am piecing together things I want to do and going for it. One of them being my blog. I identify a lot with Penny and her blog, I've been blogging on and off since I was about 11 and I know how it feels to have a place to vent. It's great.
Something else I loved about the book was Alexiot. I loved the ship name, I loved the big romantic gesture...I loved the whole thing. That was a love story I could totally get behind. It was so cute.
Another big thing in the book was the progression of Penny's anxiety. Just like Zoe, Penny suffers from anxiety attacks and I really appreciate that Zoe was able to incorporate that into her book. I think it helps a lot of people who don't have anxiety get an idea of what it feels like sometimes. It also helps a lot of people who do have anxiety and how to deal with it.
In the end, I'm so glad there was a happy ending. I feel like after everything that happened in what felt like a short amount of time everyone deserved the ending they got. I also couldn't imagine a novel written by Zoella ending sadly.
I'm really glad I gave this book a chance because I ended up loving it a lot. And while yes, it's a little cliche and predictable it's a good read. I learnt I was way more attached to the characters than I thought I was too. I was happy, sad, and I even think I yelled at my book a few times.
I would definitely recommend this book to you if you loved the first Girl Online book. And even if you weren't a fan of the first book, you should give this book a chance because you might end up liking it. I still think it is aimed at a younger audience than some of the other YouTuber books but that's okay. I think if she did something for an older audience it would be very off-brand.
And so, those were all my thoughts on Girl Online On Tour! I hope that you guys enjoyed reading. Let me know what you guys thought of Zoe's books in the comments below. I think the next book I am going to read will be Username: Evie. So look out for that book review coming soon (I hope. Depending how fast I read and if I actually have enough to say on it to write a book review.)
~ Courtney x

You Might Also Like

0 comments