New Year, Same Goals

12:00

Last year I made a YouTube video talking about my 2017 New Year's Resolutions and they did not go very well. I only had four, I wanted to do things that were manageable and I knew that I could do. Yet I still didn't come through with them.
I think it was because I wasn't serious about them. I mean everyone makes New Year's Resolutions. And most of the time people don't really mean them. I did have good intentions but that went downhill pretty quick. I think it was mainly just because I forgot. I did write them down on a sticky note and I still have it on my desk but it's not something I would look at often.
So I have decided to try again and hopefully this time things will be better. I don't know why, but for some reason, this year feels very different. I feel more positive about things and setting goals. I guess I never really embraced the whole new year, new start thing because nothing ever changed. I think it had something to do with the last blog post I made. Seeing all the things that happened last year when I wasn't even planning was amazing, so I guess I thought if I set some goals that things would be even better.
Anyway, these are not big goals, just small things that I think would help make me feel better and more productive. Things I know I can do if I actually put the effort in, better to start small I think. So here we go:

Blog More
I always neglect blogging. I just don't make time for it. But when I do it, I love it. I don't really have a focal point for my blog but I do plan to find something to write about! I think what discouraged me from blogging is a lot of the things I blog about can also be covered in my YouTube channel. I just need to find a way to split the content and how to cover it. Sometimes writing a long blog post is a lot better than an hour long video. So I guess I have to figure out the balance. But I do look forward to putting more out on my blog!
Of course, what comes with that is me again wanting a new blog or something. I would love a really pretty designed website to have my blog and other things on it, but every time I try to design one it doesn't end well.
I used to always want to make my own website from scratch with HTML but now that I am older and actually have some experience with code, I know it's not something that will magically just happen. It will take a lot of time and I would have to learn a lot about web design. So I think that might be something to aim towards in the future, but for right now I will stick with my blogspot blog.

Vlog More
Last year, my YouTube channel was all about Pretty Little Liars. I can't even deny that. Which isn't a bad thing I mean I loved Pretty Little Liars, but looking back I do wish I had vlogged more. So this year I am focusing more on follow-me-around vlogs and things less to do with TV shows. Or at least I would like to try.
I also want to post more videos in general - last year I tried to post at least once a week and I feel like I succeeded for the most part but I want to try and post more often if I can. What I will make videos about I don't know. But there will probably be some TV show videos thrown in with other things.
And of course there is my Sims YouTube channel. I really want to finish my Sims 2 Let's Play and also continue making videos for there too. So it's going to be a busy year in terms of social media for me. :P

Read More
I have so many books that I bought that I still haven't read. And last year I wanted to get back to reading because for a while I was doing really well. That might have been to do with the fact that every YouTuber was coming out with a book at the time but it was good for me.
I want to be excited to read again. I used to finish a YouTuber book and be on the next one in no time. But last year I barely picked up a book.
So to help with this goal I decided to use GoodReads. I signed up for an account a few years ago because I wanted to win a giveaway (I didn't win) but I got a notification the other day saying one of my Facebook friends was now using it so I decided to take a look again.
And it has a built-in feature for you to set a reading goal and keep track of your reading too. It's the kind of thing I would be really into because I love to document things. So I have set myself the goal to read 12 books this year. Which I know, isn't a lot. It's one a month, but I feel like if I can do that and exceed it, I will feel super accomplished. Plus, it'll be something else other than TV shows to talk about.

Save Money
Something I failed at terribly last year. Honestly, I don't like to talk about how I spent money last year. It was not good. I mean, I guess everyone goes crazy when they start their first paid job but I feel like I went above and beyond.
So this year I am going to start saving. I still believe in living in the moment and spending money, don't get me wrong, but if I can put even a little bit of money away at the end of each month I will feel proud of myself.
I have even set myself up with a different bank account to put the money in and so I will definitely not get to spend it. If I don't see it, it's not there. So hopefully this will be the better way to save. And it'll mean when I finish work placement and stop getting a monthly wage that I won't be super poor.

Learn To Drive
Finally, this is something I want to do, and not just because my boyfriend has been nagging me to do it. It would be great to be able to drive rather than take public transport. I mean I know public transport is better for the environment and cheaper but from being a student, travelling at weekends and moving house, all without a car...it can be a struggle.
Sometimes it would be handy to have a car and be able to drive, mainly so I didn't have to lug half my belongings on the train every weekend and also so I could repay my boyfriend for driving us around for 2 years.
It'll be scary but I feel like it's something I should do. And then I don't have to be waiting on public transport all the time.

Clear Out My Room
This is a recent thing that I really need to do. The past couple of years I have been living away from home and so I've just let junk pile up in my room at home. My uni room is nice and clean and uncluttered, but when I come home I feel like I just have too much stuff. And most things in my room I don't use or need thrown away.
Plus it would be nice to come home at the weekend and not feel suffocated in my room because of all my stuff. I admit I can be a hoarder, I definitely keep onto things I don't need but I think it's time to start letting go of some things...
Plus it will make it easier for me to move out in the future/move back home after graduation.


I think these are all the goals I have for 2018. I probably have more but these are the main ones I know I can stick to. So let's go with that. I'm hopeful that I will be able to accomplish these things. I mean even if I don't completely succeed at least I will have accomplished some things. Or have tried to.
I know this year will be a busy one for me with uni and everything but I also want to keep doing things I enjoy. So here's hoping this year is a fun and productive one! I really don't know where all of this optimism is coming from. Not that I will complain. I will just use it while it lasts.
I hope if you have set yourself goals in 2018 that you will also achieve them. And if you haven't set any goals that's okay too. I have seen a lot of posts online that say you don't need to wait around for a new year to change your life/begin striving for your goals and they are right. You just gotta decide it's time.
Anyway, I'm going to go now. I seem to always end up getting really inspirational towards the end of my blog posts haha. That's another thing I know I need to work on, ending my blog posts. It's not something I'm good at, but maybe if I blog more I will figure it out.
So I hope you enjoyed reading, and I'll be back (hopefully) soon with my next blog post!
~ Courtney x

You Might Also Like

0 comments