Binge Book Review

17:04

My first book review of 2016! Exciting!
Today I am reviewing Binge by Tyler Oakley. First of all, I love Tyler Oakley so I'm sorry if this comes across as biased. But technically all my book reviews are a little bit biased because I love all the YouTubers. And I can't help if I also like their books.


Tyler's book was a fun and quick read. I seemed to find myself getting through his book faster than some of the other YouTuber books that I've read. I think it has something to do with Tyler's writing style. His writing style is similar to a lot of YouTubers as he writes as though he were talking directly to you. Like if you didn't have the audiobook you could still imagine Tyler was reading it to you. Which is what I enjoy about YouTuber books they are casual and fun. Yet can still touch on serious topics without being too serious.
Which was Tyler's book in a nutshell. He bounced from talking about the serious issues such as his eating disorder to talking about his favourite Disney princes.
I enjoyed this approach to the book because it made it fun. I think it was done in a way to show that life isn't always bad and it isn't always sunshine and rainbows either. It's a mixture of both. And I'd rather have a mixture of happy and sad stories rather than just having a happy one or a sad one. It's about balance.
Which is ironic considering Tyler's book is called 'Binge' and it's about bingeing on certain things. And in this book Tyler shares his experience bingeing on the good and bad things in life.
To be honest, I was surprised at how much Tyler was willing to share about his life with us. I know all YouTubers have been spilling the tea in their books but Tyler's shocked me the most. I think it's because I was seeing a different side to him. It's hard to imagine him as anything other than the character he portrays online. I think it's refreshing to learn about the person behind the camera. That's another reason I like YouTuber books. They expose the real person and not the one we see on a screen.
Tyler's book was very real. The stories he decided to share with us were personal and things that I never knew Tyler had experienced before. Such as his eating disorder or his first heartbreak. The things people typically don't want to share on the internet. Reading these stories honestly broke my heart. I mean it's hard not to feel sad reading about the hardships people have gone through. But reading about how they dealt with the problem or overcame it changes how you view a person. It also makes me feel proud of them because they have come so far from where they once were. And I'm glad that Tyler decided to open up about these things and share what he has learned from his experiences. I know it will help a lot of people who are struggling through similar things.
On the other side of things, you have Tyler's comedic chapters which I enjoyed a lot. These were the ones where you got to see the Tyler Oakley we all know and love. This was him showing his character. In his book Tyler explains he is both @TylerOakley and Matthew Tyler Oakley. He is both the person we see on screen and this other person that we don't see. And to see both sides of him is great. He's basically like Hannah Montana and Miley Stewart.
I loved all of Tyler's funny chapters. I don't think I can choose a favourite. They were all so entertaining. One of the chapters I wasn't expecting that made me laugh a lot was the one about Tyler's unexpected Toemance. I don't have much to say on the chapter other than the puns were ev-er-y-thing.
I also enjoyed the photos of foetus Tyler. But I'm a sucker for any baby YouTuber photos. They just add so much more to the book. Because if you're going to tell embarrassing stories about your life why not throw in the baby pictures too?


Overall this book was a great read. And when I finished reading I was definitely ready for more. So I'm hoping Tyler announces book 2 very soon. I want more gossip. All tea, all shade, hunty. I also recently watched Tyler's documentary Snervous which goes hand in hand with his book. So I definitely recommend Tyler's documentary if you haven't seen it already.
And so thanks for reading another YouTuber book review! The next YouTuber book I am going to be reading is Girl Online: On Tour so look out for that book review soon. Also, if you haven't already, check out my review of Zoe's first book Girl Online.
~ Courtney x

You Might Also Like

0 comments